The Stripminers - Brett's side project

sk

Administrator
Staff member
What do you guy think of Brett's sideproject, The Stripminers?

Not my usual thing perhaps but I still think they sounds pretty cool.
Just bought their 7" vinyl in a few different colors. :)

Can also recommend their CD single with No Luck and my favorite, Better than a song.

http://www.thestripminers.com

Poison In The Paint is available on the 7" vinyl.

sk

Administrator
Staff member
Got my vinyls today.
One white, one black, one clear and one gold. :)

stripminers_vinyls.png

from your picture, they are presented in a fairly cool way. I listened to the tracks on Stripminers' site and I dig it, but must reckon I'm more into the donnas...
I'll buy the Stripminers as well, I think, if there is a full CD.

a_fan

You bought every color? lol
They are good and I like to hear Brett sing. But your're right, it isn't The Donnas, that's for sure.

sk

Administrator
Staff member
The album 'Movies' was released a few days ago.

Bought it on MP3, listening on it now.
Will probably get the LP too just for the sake of it. :)

It's available on CD Baby, iTunes and probably some other places.

I want the album on CD, I was lucky to hear the song 'Movies' before it got blocked on my job and it's TOP.
I asked about it on the Stipminers' and Donnas' facebookpages but they kept schtum about it; hopefully it will get a CD release.
And for the Donnas... I've seen the banana cover for the new album, ANY MORE NEWS?????

sk

Administrator
Staff member
I've never seen it on CD either... would've been nice if they could press a few CD's too.

Yeah, it's still very slow on the Donnas front.
No shows and no new album in sight.

I was able to listen to all the tracks of the Stripminers album through facebook; must say I really like it. I suppose the Donnas are slowed down, while the stripminers are gigging. I don't know if I have to be happy or sad... Fortunately, a lot of my time is taken by the Pussy Riot thing happening right now. Come to think of it, all of my favourite bands are far away: Black Mountain and Warpaint are gigging on other continents, the Donnas are on hold, Queen Adreena are who knows where doing who knows what, Poly Styrene is dead, the Popguns and the Primitives refuse to cross the channel...

sk

Administrator
Staff member
Another stripminers album will be released soon. Still no cds...
Cool.
Have missed that myself. Must start to pay more attention on facebook. lol

Not sure why they don't release anything on CD. Is it just by principle or what?

I think so. Maybe they think that most people download music by now + from what I read in the past, the Donnas have always been vinyl junkies. I hope the Stripminers don't put the Donnas' future in jeopardy; Brett sure seems to have a lot of fun + a band like the Stripminers has a lot of chance to be taken very seriously by a lot of indie fanatics. I don't know if I would still be into the Donnas if Brett left; it surely wouldn't be the same - maybe I would, as, like you can see, I've always had a soft spot for Maya. Looks like we are going to have to wait 2013 for more info, as much as I want the new Donnas to be released...

The Stripminers told me on facebook that they would eventually come round to releasing their stuff on cd. For the time going, however, it will only be downloads and (limited) vinyl...

sk

Administrator
Staff member
Just gonna have some patience then... :)

Oh, and I'm not worried at all that Brett will leave The Donnas. Would surprise me deeply if she did.
But I do wonder why it takes so long to record the new album. It isn't like them.
Can understand a break for a year or so but it's more like three years now. Only a few shows in 2010, one in 2011 and still only one in 2012 so far.

Might be that Torry leaving was a bigger blow than they originally thought; such an event, especially with a tight unit as the Donnas, might have made them wonder what they were doing. Also, the Stripminers are so good that they could be a serious 'career' option. Still, that leaves Maya and Allison. Allison has become a really respected guitar player, so she could easily get other offers. But I really do hope the Donnas will make 2013 their year; I love them too much to let go already...

The Donnas are still very quiet....The Stripminers are still very busy! There's an Albini connection now for new Stripminers' material. Still, no cds though...

sk

Administrator
Staff member
Albini connection?
Not sure what that even means. lol

And bad/lazy me has still not checked out the Frail Hope Ranch album and another one is already on the way...
Yeah, if only The Donnas could've been half as productive it would make me a very happy man.

Well, apparently Steve Albini will produce the next Stripminers record, according to the Stripminers' site on facebook. And apparently, the Stripminers are available on cd!!!!! I frequently listen to the Stripminers on deezer. But, what about the Donnas? Will Brett leave the Stripminers to make the Donnas happen again? Will she do two bands? The Stripminers are a great band but the Donnas would make me more happy...